»

Monday, April 16, 2012

The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde Review

The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime, #1)The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Inspector Jack Spratt is investigating the death of Humpty Dumpty found shattered to death near the wall he was sitting on in a bad part of town. Jack has lot of obstacles to face in this investigation including holding little respect as the lead detective for the Nursery Crime Division. With few resources, a new partner, and lots of suspects Jack works tirelessly to solve the case.

This book was so much fun. Fforde has such an amazing imagination and it made this book feel so different and totally unlike anything I have read before. I found myself laughing many times throughout the book and I really enjoyed Fforde's take on the many different nursery characters in the book. I think my favorite was the mass-murderer The Gingerbread Man, who would think to turn the Gingerbread Man into a mass- murderer? It was hilarious.

The actual mystery was fun and kept me guessing until the very end. Spratt's family is quirky and sweet and added a whole extra layer of fun to the book. I would recommend this one to anyone who enjoys a good mystery or to someone who enjoys a witty, cleverly written book.

I am using this book for my Once Upon a Time Challenge.

10 comments:

  1. I've read a Jasper Fforde novel before and really enjoyed it. Based on your review, I'm definitely going to add this to my mystery TBR (I have the hardest time finding mysteries that I'll like)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I greatly enjoy Jasper Fforde's books! I've read the Thursday Next Series and Shades of Grey. I cannot wait to read The Big Over Easy!
    Beth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a few Jasper Fforde books and I really enjoyed them. I'm glad you liked this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I haven't read any Fforde books, but I have Shades of Grey on my to-read shelf. Hopefully I will find some time to get around to it soon. You've made me really eager to check out his work. Fab review!

    Stephanie @ Stepping Out of the Page
    P.S. Don't forget to enter my latest giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed this book. I loove Fforde and the Nursery Crime books are so much absurd fun while still being an actual crime novel. If you liked this I would recommend the next book in the NC series, The Fourth Bear. Plus you'll get more Gingerbread Man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red,

    Thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely be checking out The Fourth Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an interesting twist on the nursery rhymes. I love that sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, and timely for me since I just bought this book last week. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    Have you read any of Fforde's Thursday Next books? They are pretty fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa,

    No, I have not read the Thursday Next books but I am hoping to read them soon. I heard they are good.

    ReplyDelete