»

Monday, March 19, 2012

The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley Review

The Orchid HouseThe Orchid House by Lucinda Riley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Julia Forrester is recovering from the loss of her husband and young child due to a horrible car accident. She has moved from her home in France back to England where she grew up to be close to her sister. One day she goes to visit the estate that her grandmother and grandfather used to work at, Wharton Park. Julia has many happy memories of being with her grandparents on the estate and watching her grandfather work with exotic orchids. While visiting she encounters the new owner of Wharton Park, Kit Crawford. They discover a hidden diary and work together to find out the secrets of Wharton Park.

I really enjoyed this story. I felt for Julia from the very beginning, she deals with so much pain throughout the story. It was intersting reading about her ups and downs in getting over the death of her family. I really liked how Riley showed Julia's recovery from so much pain, it felt real. I loved Kit from the very beginning and it was obvious that he would be just the person to help Julia through such a difficult time.

This story is filled with lots of secrets from the past and I enjoyed reading Julia's grandmother's account of what happened to Julia's family so many years ago. The story is heartbreaking and emotional and I was very surprised by secrets that were revealed at the end. There are many twists and turns in the book that keep you reading to find out what happens next.

The only problem I had with the book was the writing. While I loved the story, there were times the dialogue was just awful. There were a few times I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the things the characters would say in the book. Some better writing would have really helped make this good story even better.

The historical settings in the book are a great addition and I always enjoy books that deal with WWII. Even with the problems with the dialogue I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to a fan of stories about love and loss and enjoy the time setting of WWII.

I received this book from the publisher for a review.

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one. It sounds like a book I would really enjoyed. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review -- a few folks have said the same thing as you, that the dialogue is a bit flawed and affected their enjoyment of the story. I'll keep that in mind when I start reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the warning about the dialogue. I'll keep that in mind when I (eventually) get around to reading it. I bought this one last year from the UK under the title The Hothouse Flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one! That's too bad about the dialogue though :(

    Still, sometimes you can try and overlook it by skimming through the particularly crummy parts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping to read this one from Netgalley but I ran out of time. It isn't on my library catalogue yet but I am on the look out for it.

    ReplyDelete