»

Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster - A Classics Challenge


A Room with a View

From Goodreads:

One of E. M. Forster's most celebrated novels, "A Room With a View" is the story of a young English middle-class girl, Lucy Honeychurch. While vacationing in Italy, Lucy meets and is wooed by two gentlemen, George Emerson and Cecil Vyse. After turning down Cecil Vyse's marriage proposals twice Lucy finally accepts. Upon hearing of the engagement George protests and confesses his true love for Lucy. Lucy is torn between the choice of marrying Cecil, who is a more socially acceptable mate, and George who she knows will bring her true happiness. "A Room With a View" is a tale of classic human struggles such as the choice between social acceptance or true love.


Instead of a review I will be answering the questions from November's Autumn for the A Classics Challenge.

What phrases has the author used to introduce this character? What are your first impressions of them? Find a portrait or photograph that closely embodies how you imagine them.


When we first meet the main character, Lucy Honeychurch, she is in the middle of an argument with her cousin Charlotte about their disappointment in not getting a room with a view while on their trip to Italy.  The first word used to describe Lucy is peevish, though Forster goes on to say it is because she is tired.  My first impression was that Lucy did seem a bit selfish but she is a young woman traveling to Italy for the first time so she is naturally excited and wants to make the most of her trip. 




How has the character changed? Has your opinion of them altered? Are there aspects of their character you aspire to? or hope never to be? What are their strengths and faults? Do you find them believable? If not, how could they have been molded so? Would you want to meet them?

As the book progresses Lucy does change a lot.  At the beginning she is constantly being told what to do and think by those around her, especially her cousin Charlotte and her fiance Cecil.  As the book goes on we find her becoming more independent and she finds that she has wants and desires that may go against what those around her want for her, but she is willing to follow her own heart.  By the end of the book I really liked Lucy a lot and found her to be a very believable character.  I was very happy to see the changes she made in her life.

A Room with a View is a delightful little book that has wonderful characters and a great look at English society.   This is my first book by Forster and I enjoyed it so much that I am planning on reading another of his books soon,  Howard's End.

My Rating:  4 out of 5 stars

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, I loved this review/reflection -- the questions are interesting and I kind of want to use them to look back on books I've read. I esp like the question about the word the author uses to introduce a character -- so telling!

    I read this about one million years ago -- I am in desperate need of a reread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE MOVIE! And yes, I did read the book. All the while, though, I heard the music from and visualized the movie, so I'm ruined forever! So glad you reviewed Lucy...I think the Reverend Beebe is rather multi-faceted, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read E.M Forster, but this week I have just bought one of his short stories-The Machine Stops. I discovered it on a blog I follow, and was intrigued by the fact it was sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, great post!

    I've been craving a classic book. I haven't read this one before. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book really exceeded my expectaions last year. The love story was great and I was impressed by my first introduction to E.M. Forster. A Passage to India... not so much.

    That being said, I'm really excited to try Howard's End.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite books and I adored the movie. I agree that it gives you a great look at English society. Love the questions used to write the review.

    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely another classic I need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read any books by E. M Forster. This one sounds like a good one to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a while since I read this but your post reminded me of what a lovely story it is. And that I keep meaning to read more of E M Forster.

    ReplyDelete